From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 05:36:55 +0000
Ibolya,
The best reference I have (at work, sorry) is the one from World Health
Organization I believe on mastitis. I know it has been mentioned in our
archives. Please try to find it there. It does say the baby can bf on the
affected side. Then just make a very authoritative statement like "the most
current resource on the subject of abscess management in the breastfeeding
dyad is the WHO document...."
Re the statement "Antibodies in the milk are genetically and originally set
and they do not adapt to a certain situation." I believe the person is
incorrect. I would suggest making firm statements instead of asking
questions. Something like: I think if you read the work on the GALT and BALT
systems you would be both fascinated and enlightened. Unfortunately I can't
find the exact mammary/lactation reference but I've read it before. GALT=gut
activated lymphoid tissue or gut associated lymphoid tissue; BALT=bronchial
activated lymphoid tissue or something close to that. Basically, when the
mother "breathes in" about her baby and kisses and "eats him up" then her
bronchial and gut mucosa gets exposed to germs which the mammary gland
responds to.
Hope this helps.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA