From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 13:07:04 -0700
I have been helping a mother who has had problems with low milk supply over the past 5 weeks. It has kind of been a mystery as to why her supply is low. She had her thyroid levels checked recently, and she is borderline hyperthyroid ( I was hoping for hypothyroid, as that could be fixed with synthroid). She has been having to supplement 6-8 ounces per day as the baby is actively rooting and fussing after several feedings a day.

It is a very long story, but here is my question - this mother says that her sister had a similar problem, and had to supplement due to infant's slow weight gain. Her sister used a Haberman feeder which her pediatrician gave her so that the baby would not get used to the faster flowing bottle. She was successfully able to exclusively breastfeed after a couple of months.Has anyone else used the Haberman successfully to minimize the effects of flow confusion? This mother is very worried that her baby will get used to
the faster flowing bottle, and that her problems will only intensify.

Please let me know your opinions on this. Thank you!

Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC