From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:28:25 -0500
I had a frustrating case this week. Planned C-section. Baby was born at
8#10. Was feeding well, peeing a lot and clearing meconium. 48  hours later
she weighed 7#.

Discharge was that day--FRIDAY (and you know what that means). So
supplementing with formula was begun, upon which baby stopped feeding at
the breast.

Mom had grotesquely edemic feed and hands.

Mom was sent home with a hand pump and was working hard to give baby her
milk, but was told to give x amount of formula after any breastmilk she got.

When she called me (day 4) she was pumping 3 ounces every 2 hours and
giving this to baby followed by formula , sometimes with resistance from baby.

I don't believe that this baby lost *fat* weight that excessively in 2 days.

We succeeded in getting baby back to the breast after a couple of visits,
but all of this shouldn't have happened.

Ped scheduled a visit for day 6.

This is only going to get worse in the US with the rapid increase in
C-sections. Someone must be educated here.

I am going to write to the Ped, who is a "learner" and see if she will take
a different approach, such as looking at the feeding, the output, and the
overall state of baby's health.

We have one Ped who the hospital nurses know will not automatically approve
formula, but will come see the baby if there is a significant loss.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]