From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:17:03 -0800
Pam said:
(When I receive medical care for myself or my children I freak out if they
don't
wash hands and glove up, and trust me, it is not because I worry for
them....I just can't be sure what they touched before they came into my
room.
And yes, I have had to ASK nurses to please wash and glove up before
touching
a bleeding injury.)

This reminded me of the time we arrived in a new city and went to a first
appointment with an orthodontist - my kids were both in junior high - and
nixed the doctor because he didn't wash his hands or put on gloves before
checking their mouths (this was before the HIV concerns)!

Our clients have become aware of the need to wash hands, glove up, etc.  If
we don't we may be giving as poor an impression as this orthodontist - or
the doctor who tells a mom who has attended breastfeeding classes that she
should "feed the baby every three hours".

Patients are learning they must take responsibility for their care - and we
need to respect their knowledge and ADD to it, not deny the need.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
NEW e-mail address: [log in to unmask]