From:
ellen shein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:13:52 +0200
Well, if I didn't see it, I wouldn't have believed it!
Mom came to visit because baby was fussy at the breast. 3 mos. already and she is at the end of her rope.
At first, seems that everytime baby is put in a horizontal position, he would get angry. First thought was thrush. checked - no visible signs.
After spending lots of time watching, the baby would settle, nurse with what appeared to be a very lax latch!! No hx of bottle feeding, yet baby looked like he was bottle teat feeding from the breast!!
Thereafter, the mom mentioned that he only started nursing "happily" when she experienced let down, which are many and often.
I was amazed to see that the baby was not willing to actively nurse the breast, yet when the LR was triggered he went happily to the breast as we saw and heard the milk transfer. As soon as the reflex subsided, he got angry!!! This seems to be a case of Let Down Preference as opposed to Bottle Preference. Mom seems to be battling to get him to be happy at the breast, but it doesn't seem to be happening. She has tried one sided feeding, two sided, three sided. Baby thriving, looks great, but what a battle!!
Anybody see this before?

Have a great weekend.
Ellen Shein, IBCLC, LLLL
Tel Aviv