From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 18:44:16 +0000
Robert Summers writes:

>Recently I was having my hair cut and I was astonished that my barber
>was listening to classical music.  I complimented him on the music and
>he said that he listens to this kind of music to "relax".  My hope is
>this is not the direction we are going in to attract new listeners.

Seems like it's the exact direction that's being taken.  There's a lot
of soothing sounds in the classical music inventory, and these cultural
leaders will give us every single one of them.  Given the prevalence of
cross-over and eclectic music, the future of classical music should be
very interesting.  But why use a barber when one's spouse is a handy,
inexpensive, and friendly way to remove hair? My wife's been cutting my
hair for over 30 years; I do watch her now and then to make sure that the
hands are still steady.  She hasn't injured me yet.

Daniel Beland writes:

>In general, Americans just don't care much about Canada, which is
>often perceived as a quiet but boring place.  This is not *only* about
>music!

on the contrary, I think most Americans love Canada; having a country to
our north which is more like our own than any other on the planet is very
reassuring.  True, Americans may not love Canadian classical music, but
they don't love their own either.

Don Satz