From:
"Donna J. Harvey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:49:54 EDT
I did suggest that they take one of their disposables and put about 3-4
tablespoons of liquid into it, and get familiar with the feel of that
quantity of wetness.  I did also remind them that disposables usually have to
be much wetter than cloth in order to feel wet, so maybe baby is wetting more
than they think, but the best way to know for sure is to switch to cloth - at
least for awhile.

Regarding the 5-hour stretches of not feeding - it sounds like it's happening
twice in 24 hours, with both mom and dad seeing nothing wrong with it,
regardless of what I've told them, as well as the books I've loaned them
(Womanly Art, Sears' Baby Book, BF Answer Book), which I don't think they
read.  I even sat with mom and showed her where in the books she can look for
additional authoritative information.

He was definitely circ'd in the hospital, and I did not consider those
related issues one of you mentioned, about urination problems.  Also, I
didn't know about the exhaustion and shock that could be attributed to circ.
Thank you for educating me on this.

When I spoke with mom yesterday (Sun. evening, 5th day) by phone, I was frank
with her about dehydration.  Mom thinks that since she leaks it means she has
plenty of milk and baby is getting what he needs.  I told her you can still
leak and have problems with suck and supply, and that I was quite concerned
about the lethargy and how insufficient the diapers looked.

Mom's milk was in by the 3rd day, probably transitionally, and she felt more
engorged (but not hugely) on the 4th day - Friday.  When I saw them Sat.
midday the fontanel looked and felt good, not sunken, and skin was not
dry-flakey-feeling.  Baby did look a little less yellow than the day before
(Fri.), the latch was improving, it sounded like he was
transferring/swallowing milk sufficiently, and mom's nipple soreness was
lessened, but I was concerned about those diapers.

I reiterated to mom that when she goes to the doc (today) they may likely do
a bili count and that would be a truer test of jaundice than just how the
baby looks.  Plus, mom is Chinese descent, so that skin color is a factor.  I
don't have the weighing equipment, so couldn't check that aspect, plus it's
beyond my scope as an LLL Leader.

As one suggested to me for her, I would LOOOOOOVE for them to see Paul Fleiss
- it would be awesome, but is not likely.  I will suggest it, but they are so
enamored of medical people at UCLA, thinking that is the "be-all and end-all"
of the best of the best.

I will keep everyone posted, when I hear how today's doc visit went.

Donna J. Harvey
Chairperson, Kern County Breastfeeding Promotion Coalition
Group Leader, La Leche League of Tehachapi, CA
"Mother-to-Mother Help with Breastfeeding"

La Leche League, International's MISSION STATEMENT:
    Our mission is to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through
mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education and to
promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in
the healthy development of the baby and mother.
LLLI Board of Directors, May 89; rev Apr 93