Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:00:32 -0700
From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
7BIT
> From: Cynthia Good Mojab <[log in to unmask]>
>
> this discourse blames the
> breastfeeding mother as the toxic source. It is thus very important to
> examine how this subject is presented to the public."

I viewed a news item last night discussing the prevalence of fire-prevention
chemicals in our environment - breast-milk was listed as contaminated and
the words were accompanied by visuals of a baby breastfeeding. The focus of
the item was on the health hazards of these compounds. There was nothing
indicating that breastmilk is still preferable to infant formula.

News coverage of this issue is seems to be similar to that of West Nile
Virus in breastmilk - coverage of the "problem" without the accompanying
message that breastfeeding is still the least-risky option.

If we are going to change this we need to contact individual reports and ask
that they include this message in coverage; we need consistently communicate
this message ourselves; AND we need to convince the people and organizations
who generate coverage about these issues to include the message that
breastmilk is still the least-risky feeding option.

-- Jodine Chase