Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 07:22:35 -0500
More than a few of the top allergens fall under the 'vegan' category.  soy,
corn and gluten (protein in wheat, rye oats and barley).  She may be
misinformed by hfs employees regarding the gluten status of several grains:
spelt and kamut are NOT gluten free. Same for 'sprouted' grain breads.  The
sprouting process does not remove all gluten from the grain.  sprouts
themselves are gluten free (regardless of their source), but it's the 'berry'
or grain that's attached to the sprout that's not gluten free.  Buckwheat,
amaranth, millet and quinoa are gluten free and very very very rarely
allergenic.

I can only imagine how hard it would be to overnight omit many many things
from your diet all while trying to learn what is acceptable in the form of
packaged/processed foods.

That's why typically I recommend a very basic diet for a few days....however,
I also mentioned this before, and so did Jennifer: testing is another really
good option.

Jennifer mentioned kinesiology - many chiropractors can do this.  I'm a big
fan of IgG blood testing (york nutritional labs can do it with a finger prick
instead of a draw......getting a draw on a tiny baby would be, well, it
wouldn't be fun)

I just don't want to see this mom thinking that going 'vegan' is going to
solve the problem, when in fact, she may end up relying heavily on things that
are irritating to her baby.

Does she have a plan for what to eat right now?  How is she going to go about
reintroducing foods into her diet?  Has she wanted to become vegan or is this
in hopes of helping the baby?  Is the veganism a long term or short term
issue?

Because I now believe that meat is very biologically appropriate for humans I
now eat pastured/grassfed meat/eggs after many yrs of being vegan and veg)
but, I do believe that wtihout much trouble, she can get adequate nutrition.
There are several 'green'powders that will give her phenominal nutrition from
1-2 tbsp per day.....including all the calcium she needs.  I've seen
interesting documentation  that indicates that overfarming/soil depletion and
the long distances that even the freshest foods travel to get to us, the
nutrient content in most foods is seriously compromised (compared to what it
was 60-100yrs ago.  because of that, I think some supplements are beneficial
for everyone, regardless of their vegan or meat eating status.  magnesium,
CLA, omega 3's and others seem very important.

:)
katherine in atl