From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:24:08 -0800
Just saw a mom on Monday who was experiencing terrible shooting pains in
the breast that were caused by 6 weeks of traumatized nipples-- due to
an almost classic tongue-tie. This mom's ped doesn't believe in
tongue-tie and is arrogant; a couple of years back I tried to arrange a
conversation by phone, and he refused to talk to me at all or review any
documentation. Another ped in his office is just the opposite, and she
is willing to give this mom a referral to the doc who does our
clippings. So I gave mom the Peds 2002 article to share with her
husband, and encouraged them to make an appt with the doc who would give
the referral. But guess what? Dad's parents used to be doctors in the
Phillipines (they are now retired here) and they said "there is no such
thing as tongue-tie," so dad is saying no. Article in hand, he still
believes his parents and says if he would talk to anyone, it would be to
their arrogant main ped. Sigh. And that bottle feeding was preferable.

This poor mom is saying "I guess I have to go on the bottle because I
can't pump very much milk and breastfeeding hurts too much." This is NOT
what she wants, but she is afraid to rock the boat in their marriage;
apparently 6 wks of breastfeeding pain has taken its toll already. This
is a Filipino family. Mom is sad and I am frustrated for her. I am
trying to advocate for more dialogue, but I sure wouldn't want to cause
more trouble for her in the process.

Lisa Marasco MA IBCLC