From:
Gayle Prehn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 03:31:55 +0000
I want to thank all of you for the excellent suggestions that you have given.
I called the mom today to get an update and give her the feedback we got from
you.  She was in "heaven".  The "lactation consultant" that she had spoken
with while I was out of town, and had just left and baby was "actually
sleeping".   Mom got her name from some women at church who had found her very
helpful.  She is supposed to have started the lactation program at one of the
local hospitals 25 years ago.  Well, she told the mom that the baby needs to
be one a schedule (something that Dad has been begging for) and that she has
to train him to recognize what a full stomach really feels like.  She let mom
nurse and weighed him after he was done.  He had taken 3 oz, so she had mom
give him 1 oz of formula afterward and then got him to sleep by putting him in
the crib on his tummy.  The nurse says that he is to feed no more frequently
than every 3 hours and that she is to supplement with 1 oz of formula after
every nursing session.  I expressed my concerns about the tummy sleeping in
the crib, and ignoring the baby's cues, but mom was so happy that she had
found this "highly experienced lactation consultant" who had solved her
problem, I don't think she got my point.  I asked her to please call me with
an update, and she said she would, but her tone of voice indicated that I will
not be hearing from her. I envision the nursing relationship and milk supply
that she has worked so hard to establish is going to slip away.   I am so
frustrated.

Thanks for all your imput.  I will store it away for another day.

Gayle