From:
Nancy Holtzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 21:35:59 -0400
>Karleen wrote:
>
> >I'm looking for references that describe parenting/breastfeeding practices
> >in developing countries and the West. I'm looking for traditions that might
> >impact breastfeeding such as proximity/separation of mother-child, sleep
> >practices,  culture of breastfeeding vs culture of bottlefeeding etc.

Have I got a book for you!  Although it is fiction, it is research-based,
enlightening, a great read for both professionals and parents.  I highly
recommend it for anyone interested in the topic (that's all of us, isn't
it?), and it is under $12.
Available at Amazon.com.
"A World of Babies : Imagined Childcare Guides for Seven Societies
by Judy S. DeLoache (Editor), Alma Gottlieb (Editor) (Paperback - May 2000
Every culture thinks that it knows the best way to care for babies.
DeLoache and Gottlieb, both professors at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign, have gathered fictionalized accounts, based on factual
information and including a brief description of the culture, of how
various societies throughout history and the world think their offspring
should be raised. Each of these accounts is written in a style similar to
Dr. Benjamin Spock's child-care manuals, but using the traditions of each
represented culture to create an analogous guidebook. This is an
entertaining and educational collection of invented guidebooks spanning the
globe. Questions such as what is the key to a successful pregnancy, when to
bathe the baby, how long to nurse, and how to celebrate the various
ceremonies that revolve around a birth are descriptively explained through
the eyes of societies such as the Puritans of New England, the Fulani of
western Africa, and a Muslim village in central Turkey. This book is an
intriguing opportunity to learn about other cultures."
Nancy
Nancy Holtzman RN BSN IBCLC
Great Beginnings New Mothers Groups &
Boston Breastfeeds!