From:
Roni Chastain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:29:20 EDT
hi all,
well, i gave my lecture to the pediatric residents today. i think it went
very well. i certainly hope i have them thinking of how their role as
physicians,  guide women to breastfeed, and to use lactation consultants if
problems arise. i gave them the information about baby friendly, the code and
how breastfeeding saves not only babies but lots and lots of money. they
seemed to take notice when i quoted the stats on how much the usa spends on
abm,  how much it costs each medical center, and the additional costs of
health care to babies fed abm.
i was also able to get a blue bulb syringe that is used for suctioning babies
at birth. i attended the PA-MILC conference this weekend, Nikki Lee spoke
about the insult to newborns by use of the suction device, and showed videos
that were very disturbing to me. i also used Kay Hoovers's example of how the
length of the average newborn's mouth to the soft palate is 3 cms, and showed
them that the length of the bulb syringe is 5 cm. it is no wonder that babies
that are suctioned vigorously have sore mouth and throat.
i was also able to give the residents a booklet by Dr Alicia Dermer,
"Breastfeeding: The Physician's Role". thank you dr dermer for writing this
booklet and making it available at the PA-MILC conference.
I spoke about how my ped has a toy in his office with the name of a formula
company on it. i explained, if it wasn't effective advertising the formula
companies would not be giving them out, wouldn't spend the money if it wasn't
working.
i invited all of the residents and medical students there to join lactnet, to
become more involved with educating themselves about breastfeeding.
one step at a time......
i would also like to comment about the wonderful job done by all the people
involved with  PA-MILC. the conference was excellent, the speakers were
excellent (many of them lactnetters!) thanks to the karens for making the
conference a huge success.
warmly,
roni

Roni M. Chastain, RN, FACCE