From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 16:40:17 -0500
Cynthia raises an excellent point - that babies are part of breastfeeding.
(OK, say it. DUH!).

One group (who shall remain nameless) tried to exclude nursing babies from a
breastfeeding conference where I was the primary invited speaker. The issue
of "baby noises" was a huge controversy within their group, and fortunately
I found out about it before my trip. I told them that if they didn't allow
breastfeeding babies into a breastfeeding seminar, then I would refuse to
speak. IMO, if someone can't tolerate normal breastfed baby noises at a
breastfeeding conference, then they're in the wrong business! From then on,
I've included the following clause in my speaking contracts:

"It is understood that the Presenter: (1) neither solicits or accepts
funding or reimbursement from manufacturers of infant formula or other
products that are within the scope of the International Code of Marketing of
Breastmilk Substitutes; (2) endorses the Innocenti Declaration and therefore
expects quiet, fully breastfed babies "in arms" to be allowed to remain with
their mothers in the meeting rooms; (3) may exhibit, advertise and sell
books or products of which she is author or co-author; (4) reserves the
right to photograph, audiotape, or videotape the presentation for her use,
(5) retains exclusive copyright of her presentations and all materials,
handouts, etc. associated with said presentations."

That last clause was added when one group tried to get me to assign
(transfer) copyright of my presentation materials to them. Nope - no way!

Any speaker is welcome to use my wording (above) in their own speaking
contracts without further permission from me. I would likewise appreciate
receiving examples of other similar agreements that have been negotiated
between speakers and organizers.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre www.bflrc.com
6540 Cedarview Ct., Dayton, OH 45459-1214 USA
(937) 438-9458 email [log in to unmask]