From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 06:38:52 +1100
Iskender Savasir:

>A simple biographical question.  It is well known that Prokofieff was
>born in Ukraine.  The question is whether his parents were Ukrainian
>or Russians serving and living in Ukraine.

These excerpts come from "Prokofiev by Prokofiev: A Composer's Memoir"
(Doubleday, 1979):

   "My father, Sergei Alekseyeich Prokofiev, was born in Moscow on
   July 8, 1846."

   "I have but slight information on my father's parents."

   "On the same day in 1860 both of my father's parents died of
   cholera, which was epidemic in Moscow at the time."

In a rather complicated description of his mother's family, he says they
were originally serfs in the Tula district (south of Moscow).

Richard Pennycuick