From:
David Cheng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:14:50 -0400
Beethoven String Quartet Performance and Lecture Series Featuring Joel
Berman & Friends

FAES Graduate School at National Intitutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
Course #GENL 158, 2 credits or audit
Mondays, 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.

This is a performance-lecture series presenting the entire cycle of sixteen
Beethoven String Quartets in an historically unique format invented by the
instructor.  This popular and innovative series was presented on the NIH
campus in Spring & Fall 2001, and at the Washington Conservatory in Spring
2002.

All the quartets are performed live.  Each quartet performance is preceded
by a lecture outlining structural features of the quartet that are unique
to the work and which serve to unify each piece from beginning to end.
Beethoven's invention of motivic (DNA-like) imprinting of each work is
demonstrated.  In addition, some new discoveries of a stylistic nature,
which act as unifying features, are also presented.  An outline of each
quartet will be distributed to each student.

The lectures are intended for all music lovers who may not be able to read
music, as well as for professional chamber music performers.  Registration
is open to the public.  Classes are on Mondays unless otherwise noted.

   Tues, Sept 17 Opus 18, #1        Tues, Nov 12 Opus 95
   Mon, Sept 23 Opus 18, #2 and #3  Mon, Nov 18 Opus 127
   Mon, Sept 30 Opus 18, #5 and #4  Mon, Nov 25 Opus 132
   Mon, Oct 7 Opus 18, #6           Mon, Dec 2 Grosse Fuge, Opus 133
   Tues, Oct 15 Opus 59, #1         Mon, Dec 9 Opus 130 w/ Grosse Fuge
   Mon, Oct 21 Opus 59, #2          Mon, Dec 16 Opus 130 w/ 2nd Finale
   Mon, Oct 28 Opus 59, #3          Mon, Jan 6 '03 Opus 131
   Mon, Nov 4 Opus 74               Mon, Jan 14 '03 Opus 135

REGISTRATION INFORMATION

For registration information, call the Foundation for Advanced Education
in the Sciences, Inc.  (FAES) at (301) 496-7976.  It's possible to register
at the class, but you must call in advance.  You can also register in
person at FAES on the NIH Campus in Building 60, Suite 230.

Comments from people who have attended the series:

   "The course made Monday evenings a high point of each week.  The
   players conveyed such infectious joy in making music together.
   Thanks to the insights and ways of listening that Joel taught us,
   I can listen more intelligently not only to these quartets, but
   also to other works, even by other composers."

   "It was such a pleasure hearing all of those wonderful quartets and
   to learn of the intricacies involved in the construction of each
   one.  I have a deeper appreciation of Beethoven's genius now that
   I have studied Professor Berman's very original method of dissecting
   the quartets.  It was easy to follow and did not interfere with the
   flow of the music.  I would recommend the course to anyone who loves
   music.  The methodology is simple and easy to follow, requiring no
   expertise in music, but contributing greatly to all future appreciation
   of the art."

   "I took the 'Joel Berman and Friends' course on the Beethoven
   Quartets as a music appreciation endeavor.  Since I am not schooled
   in music, I did not expect that I would get much more out of the
   course than being exposed to these works as an integrated musical
   experience.  Despite the fact that the presentations were directed
   more to 'musicians' than to 'listeners' I came away with a heightened
   understanding of the musical evolution of the quartets.  Above all,
   the performances were great and I continue to refer to the program
   notes [outlines] which were used in the course; they add to my
   listening enjoyment as I replay the quartets at home."

   "The eighteen Mondays I spent at the Beethoven Quartet series with
   Joel, Alice and crew were among the most memorable in a life already
   filled with listening to and performing music.  Delving into the
   patterns, the melodies, and the intricacies of the quartets was
   enriching and uplifting.  All music lovers should have the opportunity
   to share in this experience."

   "What other experience could have justified being on Rockville Pike
   during rush hour on Monday afternoon?  The Beethoven Quartet series
   is a gem!"

   "As an attorney with no previous formal knowledge or training
   in music, I found the instruction offered by Prof.  Berman both
   intellectually absorbing and, frankly, revelatory of Beethoven's
   style and technique.  Moreover, the proficiency, esprit de corps
   and sheer stamina of the 'Berman Quartet' was a marvel!  The
   enthusiasm and dedication of the Quartet, together with Prof.
   Berman's exhaustive grasp of the internal dynamics of the individual
   quartets, constituted a weekly event of epiphanic quality!  The
   emotional, intellectual and spiritual richness of this experience
   will remain a benchmark for the possibilities of appreciating the
   work of a musical genius such as Ludwig van Beethoven.  How, when
   and where do I enroll again?"

   "The recent concert/lecture series devoted to the Beethoven String
   Quartets gave me a chance to revisit these wonderful works in the
   company of expert musicians.  Joel Berman and his colleagues made
   the music and its structure come alive, in an intimate and relaxed
   atmosphere.  Mr. Berman's love of this music definitely "came
   across the footlights." His explanations of the structure of the
   music, insightful and respectful, and occasionally even humorous,
   made it more accessible.

   "I think the most important feeling I got from these concerts is a
   sense of renewal - I came away feeling that something of great value
   had been shared, and that I was the better for it.  I know that
   Joel Berman brings a life-long involvement as a violinist, teacher
   and chamber musician to these concerts.  "Having witnessed at first
   hand how appreciative I and other members of the audience have been,
   I can only hope that his fine work will find a wider audience."

For more information, email [log in to unmask] or check the website
http://www.skatersedgemag.com