From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:40:14 -0700
I had a phone call today from a mom who has a 4-day old infant. Mom claims her nipples have transient soreness, but no obvious cracks or bleeding(I have not seen the nipples). She noticed pink droplets on baby's face yesterday, and then later in the day found bright red blood and a small blood clot in the baby's mouth after the infant spit up.

I have seen ruddy brown blood come from the breast (rusty pipe blood), but have not come across a situation quite this alarming to the mother. Could this blood clot have come from the milk ducts during the engorgement phase, as the result of blood vessels breaking in the breast? I will be seeing this mother after her pediatrician's appt today.

Thanks for any opinions you may have.

Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC