From:
Mirine Dye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:23:01 -0400
Dear List Members,

I would appreciate some gentle guidance here. I am the only BF resource in my community, and my experience is limited.  We have no LC and no birthing hospital.

I have a mom , 4 day old baby born at home/waterbirth.  Baby 6#4 oz at birth , 36 weeks gest.  A  Ped lives across the street and did a quick eval on day 2 and noticed tongue tie on babe. He did not want to clip it.

Mom's milk is in great, but baby has yet to latch now on day 3. The tongue is really stopping short, and when I insert my pinky , I definitely get chomped by the gums. Mom is complaining about ' biting' as well at latch attempts.

The baby's mouth was bone dry when I saw her, and she had already lost several oz, with minimal diaper changes.

We got a pump ( Avent Isis), a medicine spoon, and tried to just get some liquids in baby.  I explained the pros and cons of bottle and cup feeds to mom, and she decided to just use bottle.

I am seeing baby and mom again today, day 4, and baby is still not able to stick out tongue for latching, and does only fair on a bottle at this point ( gest age?)

I can find lots of info on dealing with tongue tie ( clipping) but nothing on how to help mom and baby in the mean time!  There is no local ped around now for 3 weeks, and I will have to send mom out of town for more help.

Any suggestions, references or input welcome.

Mirine Dye, CCE, CD
Childbirth and Lactation Educator in the Fab Fla Keys

Visit my Florida Birth Website!

http://floridabirth.homestead.com/floridabirth.html

If your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together...