From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 14:38:43 -0700
kathleen said, "I hate that the term here takes on a
negative connotation...especially when used to
describe women supporting breastfeeding women.  A man
would beknown as more of an advocate. A strong woman
would be a zealot."

hmmm... In general women have a harder time being
percieved as "just" strong.  when we show strength we
are accused of zealotry, being a mother bear, being a
*itch, being castrating.........  WHY???   Strength
and outspokenness are *fine* in relationships, until
it is "unleashed" on someone else.  How many women
here have had people attracted to their outspoken
qualities, and then have learned that those very
qualities are the ones that lead to the demise of the
relationship?  I'll raise my hand first so the rest of
you strong women dont' feel shy.  :-)

(and yes, I've spent a lifetime ameliorating it...)

wrt bottles and weaning- I think Kathleen was saying
that if women are educated about what might happen
when they give a bottle, the premature weaning is not
guaranteed.   Women should be taught to give small
amounts, in a low flow nipple, and not force the baby
to finish the bottle.  I'm sure I've read here that
the baby should be given breaks while bottle feeding
in order to to more closely resemble feeding at the
breast.  Instead, many women feel that the way a baby
feeds at a bottle is normal.  :-(

kate