From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 10:01:25 -0700
Yes, ANOTHER "sacrificing breastfeeding to the altar of ignorance" ....

I visited a mom very late one Thursday night - she had called and her baby
would not latch on, she was in pain, baby was 4 days old.  While we talked
and I helped her with breastfeeding, (baby had to learn to open mouth wide,
mom learned to wait until tongue was down, using the good old "sandwich"
hold was necessary because of large breasts, etc.), she also reported she
had been unable to control her bladder since delivery.  At the time, she
said she thought it was getting better, and at 10:30 PM I wasn't about to
send her off to the ER - but the next morning (she reported baby was
nursing well, wetting and stooling, etc.) I recommended she call the OB.
 She did, but he didn't see her until the next week.

Mom paged me yesterday - the doctor recommended low-dose estrogen birth
control pills "because breastfeeding causes low estrogen and that's what is
wrong."  She asked him if this would cause problems with her breastfeeding,
as this was going very well.  And he told her yes, it may, but it was what
needed to be done!

She said she called me because her "guts" told her this didn't make sense.
 I praised her "guts" and recommended a second opinion.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
NEW e-mail address: [log in to unmask]