From:
Sue Petracek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 19:35:41 -0600
I've waited a bit to respond to this query because, unlike everyone
else so far, I DO have a financial interest in this information in that
it is my site. But since I haven't seen it posted, I'll stick my neck
out:

Bravado is a great bra for comfort and for the days when breast size
seems to change by the hour. Not especially supportive.

Goddess has some good bras for larger sizes - that's the whole focus of
their bras. They have a couple of nursing bras, one more supportive,
one more for fun (black & red figures on the white background inside
the nursing opening - for baby to look at).

Medela's new seamless bras are great, but don't go to the larger sizes.
Their original styles in the larger cups are good as well, but a bit
too pointy for some women's taste.

The best bras (which I haven't seen mentioned) are Fancee Free's large
sized nursing bras, specifically style 94305. It goes up to a 50J. no
wire. The inner construction of this bra is what makes it effective: an
inner, non-stretch "sling" which goes from the top of the cup, around &
underneath the breast & back up to the other side. It seems to take
some of the pressure off the shoulder straps, and I have heard sighs of
relief from women putting this bra on. There are a couple of pictures
midway down the page at
www.bosombuddies.com/ProductsPagesFolder/BBBraFolder/BBFanceeFree.html.
Or you can get there from www.bosombuddies.com. (Not all of our bras
are on the site - for instance no Goddess pictures.)

>> Any suggestions or comments? We live in southeastern
>> PA, was wondering if there was anywhere in particular that she could
>> go for a
>> good bra fitting when discharged.
>
> You might quiz her on why she feels she needs "support".  Was she
> physically uncomfortable before?

With all due respect to Diane's reflections on why we need bras, I
think I had read that the "Dressed to Kill" hypotheses have been
debunked. Why we may think we need to look like a Barbie doll is a
great question, but frankly in all the work I've done with fitting moms
in nursing bras, their #1, & probably #2 & #3 priorities are comfort.
We carry that the next half step & try to educate toward a comfortable
bra which will not cause irritation or trigger plugged ducts.

I hope this is helpful, and I apologize if my posting is inappropriate.

Sue in Denver