From:
Esther Grunis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 22:58:37 +0200
I totally agree with you, Dianne.  Let's make it less overwhelming for the
mother.  I usually suggest that they are ready with a bottle of EBM for when
the baby wakes up to feed.  WE use an Avent "extremely slow flow " nipple. I
try to teach the mom not to screw the bottle into the baby's mouth, but to
tickle her lips until she opens wide, and then let her take the nipple
deeply into her mouth so that her lips are flanged onto the wide base.  If
done correctly, this closely resembles the peristaltic sucking action of the
tongue, and retrains the baby to come back to breast when the milk supply is
increased sufficiently.  After she feeds the baby in this way, she should
pump as much as she can: optimally the amount that the baby took plus
another 10%.  This way she will be ready for the next time the baby wakes,
whether it is in another hour or another 2 hours and 23 minutes, given that
this is not predictable.  Thus, she is in a feed-pump mode rather than a
pump-feed mode. The pumping with a good pump increases the milk supply.
Most of the moms who have come to our clinic with either supply  problems or
non-latching babies have all gone back to full breastfeeding with this
method.  Some took longer than others, but in the end, all babies breastfed.
I think that some moms are too overwhelmed with too many contraptions.  I
try to keep it as simple as I can.

Esther Grunis, IBCLC,  imagining the Fall colors in your neck of the woods.
Lis Maternity Hospital
Tel Aviv, Israel