Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Susan Hergert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:53:55 -0700
Jan Barger said:

> Bed-sharing is on the hot seat because some parents have done it
> inappropriately.  Does that mean no one should bedshare?  No, it means we
> have a responsibility to teach safe sleeping environments.   Don't allow your
> baby to become overheated.  Don't put the temperature in your house up to 80
> because there is a baby there -- don't over dress them.  It's the overheating
> that causes the problem -- not the swaddling.

Jan, Thanks for addressing this. I haven't had much time to respond but
I have been following this thread on swaddling with a fair amount of
disdain.

I am currently working as an IBCLC and postpartum doula with three sets
of multiples (lucky me!). I am, unfortunately,  running into more and
more folks who are allowing babies to be awake and crying/ fussing most
of the day and night. Why? Well, they can't put them to sleep on their
bellies, or in their (mom's) beds, or in a swaddle....  all of these
will lead to SIDs. These are smart moms and I am sure some well meaning
health professional is decrying the aforementioned techniques. But...
any nursery nurse worth her salt knows that babies do not sleep flat on
their backs with their arms and legs extended! They just don't feel
safe.

So, the families try using the swing but it has limited ability to
console... and they can't hold all their babies all the time, and they
can't nurse them all, all the time. Know what happens next? Mom starts
assuming it's her milk that's the problem and she starts moving through
the list of formulas that are options.... up through Alimentum, which
for multiples is a small fortune to buy. The Mylicon comes out then.....
it goes on and on.

Let's be careful what we are doing when we associate swaddling with
SIDs! Moms have enough to worry about... and they are already not
sleeping at night because of the perceived dangers of co-sleeping and
the inherant "safety" of cribs.....

Susan Keith-Hergert RNC, IBCLC
Holistic Natal Care
Cincinnati, Ohio