From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:38:29 +0100
"So even if the tongue-tie isn't causing a breastfeeding problem, It seems
to me we should still inform the parents that there is real debate about
the issue and offer them sources of information.  If they choose to follow
their MD's recommendations, at least we have done our job of education."

You've all been talking about tongue-tie. And whether or not a ped. / other
doctor will clip a frenulum. It seems that many doctors will not clip a
frenulum and some do. But just what is their "hang-up" about not doing a
frenuloplasty? Are there ligitamate (medical) reasons for NOT doing one?
Are there any long-term consequences of a frenuloplasty (aside from allowing
pain free bf) for the infant? Or is it that it fell out of favour as ABM
feeding took hold and less mothers chose to bf?

Never seen a frenuloplasty done but from what I've read, it seems to be a
extremely straight forward, quick, painless procedure. Less than getting
vaccinations?

I also find it awfull that whether or not you can get a fren. clipped is bit
of a (postcode)lottery.

Sara Bernard
The Netherlands