From:
ellen shein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 07:48:41 +0200
Hi all,
Coming from one of the laziest people I just had to share.

Last night a journalist called me, to get my reaction to women's anst regarding conflicting advice given, from LC's, and the "establishment" here which would be employees of the medical services of the Ministry of Health (virtually free well baby clinics, and a national health service, ) she gave the example of one of the books published by a gynecologist - the top selling Pregnancy and Childbirth Handbook (written in 86 updated in 94!!) and it was written back then - that too much water can actually reduce milk supply. The journalist called MOH and spoke to the top person in nutrition and babies, and she had never heard of such a thing! I told the journalist that the book, though outdated is probably correct as I too read "somewhere" that this can occur. And of course, I assured her that the information given by LC's and professionals in the field of Lactation are generally based on 'SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE" and that I would try to find out where the info came from.

Sure enough, I was going to send a query to my greatest source of info, and anticipated everyone jumping on me for not checking those fabulous archives so......... I did, and in the span of 5 minutes I got what I was looking for. AMAZING. It really works and saves so much time.
So thanks to Sue Jacoby in 1996 for mentioning Lawrence (who I heard of of course) and Dusdieker et al (who I must admit, I never heard of) and thanks to Mary Kay Smith who in 1999
recapped what D was talking about and stated the two references. I have emailed all the info, to both the journalist and MOH. And have certainly earned a journalist friend who, by the way, is breastfeeding her 2nd kid who is 8 months old!

This is just to say thanks for being there.
Mazal Tov to all our new members
Always check the archives.
and have a wonderful, safe, stress free (have they caught that SOB in Washington yet?)
weekend.

Ellen Shein, IBCLC LLLL
Tel Aviv