Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 19:27:03 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Diane <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 6:32 AM
Subject: pumping more often

> >5-6 times a day is not enough to pump!  Have her try 8-10 or more
> >pumpings, and make sure she is using a hospital grade electric pump.
>
> I can picture this harried mom thinking, "8-10 times a day??  On top of
all
> the nursing and the SNS??"  But here's what I suggest to moms:
>
> If there isn't a fundamental supply problem (thyroid, whatever) - if
supply
> is low because baby isn't driving the system - then nursing the baby a lot
> isn't increasing supply *or* feeding the baby.  For now, think of nursing
as
> recreational only.  Nurse as much as you like, but don't think of it as
> food.  Rely on the pump.  It's fast, it's effective, and *that's* what's
> going to bring your supply back.  Feed the baby in whatever way is
efficient
> and pleasurable for both of you - probably bottles.  Once we get the
puzzle
> sorted out and the baby begins to drive the system, we'll transition from
> pump to baby.  But for starters, don't exhaust yourself nursing
> continuously.  If that worked, you wouldn't be in this pickle.  Let the
pump
> do its job.  For now.
>
> I know in theory a feeding tube should cause baby to draw effectively and
> consistently. In practice, my impression is a good double pump (which
> doesn't pause, complain that there's nothing there, chew, lose the tube,
or
> go to sleep when the flow slows, and which does both sides in 15 minutes
or
> less) pulls a really low supply up faster than fiddling with a feeding
tube.

> What do others think?
> --
> Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY
> www.wiessinger.baka.com

I agree with Dianne about using a good hospital pump to increase supply when
the baby hasn't been able to. Some mothers and babies do well with a  SNS
but many do not. My plan includes: feed the baby at the breast, then
supplement (often by bottle, something the father can do), then pump with a
hospital grade electric pump.Continue to work on improved latches. I have
found this to work well and is a realistic plan. Its both workaable and it
works. The supplementing and the pumping are used as bridges to feeds at the
breast. I love getting the calls that the mother is still breastfeeding past
1 year despite a tough beginning!       Ann Anderson,  BSN, IBCLC Bergen
County, NJ