From:
Annie Versteeg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 19:29:30 EDT
In a message dated 9/22/02 11:16:07 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< It also troubles me
that mineral oil is used, when there may be better options.  >>

What are the better options? What is wrong with mineral oil used on a limited
basis to cure an already existing problem?  She used Flaxseed oil as well.
But there is NO absorption of mineral oil and this baby was miserable most of
the time until we straightened out this problem.. I don't see how the colon
can heal and shrink back to a tubular shape as long as fecal matter is
allowed to sit there and stretch it out.  Evacuating the bowels from
peristaltic action is not the same and is confusing for kids as the urge is
the same.
Does it matter how they got it once they have it?  Isn't the most important
thing at that point to fix/heal it?
The mother's diet didn't matter after the fact because the colon had alredy
been stretched into a pouch.  How will her diet fix that?
Believe me, the last thing we wanted to do was use mineral oil, but she was
re-assured it would not be absorbed, but it would keep the colon empty.
This was a homebirth/breastfeed/attached baby.

Annie VerSteeg  IBCLC
Mom to Willie; 12 and Kayli; 10
Beach Area Breastfeeding
breastfeeding... It's for life