From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:01:43 +1000
Regarding the mother who has a drastic reduction in milk supply every time
she gets a period ... please check the archives for posts by Pat  Gima on
this.  I'm pretty sure it is Pat who has had success increasing the mothers
calcium and potassium intake at this time and avoiding the milk
reduction.  I have recently had a mother who experienced the same with her
first baby (didn't see me) and, much to her great disappointment, she too
had to supplement with formula a lot sooner than she had intended to and
weaned at about 6 or 7 months.  With the second baby she took fenugreek and
blessed thistle with moderate success, but came to see me when baby was
about 5 or 6 months old finding that the herbals were no longer working for
her at the time of her period.  I suggested domperidone, which she took and
noticed a dramatic increase in milk supply and no longer needed to supplement.
Hope this helps.
Denise

Denise Fisher MMP, BN, IBCLC
BreastEd Online Lactation Studies