From:
Cathy Fetherston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 16:44:42 +0800
On 24/8/02 10:42 AM, "Automatic digest processor"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I just finished reading a book on omega 3 fatty acids (Don't ask...)and
> there is no mention of ARA. The omega 3's are LNA, EPA and DHA. I re-read
> the chapter entitled "The Fatty Acid Primer" and couldn't find ARA
> mentioned. Someone else on this list may know what it is but I don't.

I think they must be referring to Arachadonic acid (which actually carries
the abbreviation AA rather than ARA) It is a precursor for prostaglandins
and plays an important part in the inflammatory response, and is also an
important component of neural membranes and blood vessels. AA is actually
synthesized from DHA and linoleic acid in adults however infants do not
produce enough and rely on their intake from breastmilk to make up their
full nutritional requirement. The concentration of fatty acids in breastmilk
are all linked (eg as one goes up another will have to go down and another
up etc - its all rather complex and mind boggling - however (to cut a long
story short) there is a positive correlation between DHA and AA
concentration in breastmilk).
For a nice explanation of long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LCPUFA) in
breastmilk go to:
http://www.infactcanada.ca/fatty_acids_in_infant_developmen.htm

Cathy Fetherston
Perth, Western Australia