Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 02:48:11 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (71 lines)
Hi,
I've been lurking for a while and this is my first posting.  I have enjoyed reading all of
your wise questions and advice, insights, and support.

I have personally tried both the Whittlestone and the Symphony.  They are VERY
different from each other.  The Symphony has a 2 minute initial cycle that mimics an
infants non-nutritive suck until let-down then transitions to the suck-swallow pattern.
The initial "non-nutritive" phase can be switched manually if mom has a let-down
faster.  The initial NN phase was pretty interesting and tickled a little.  The SS phase
seemed very similar to that of the Classic or Lactina (I've used them both as well as
the PIS, but it has been some time).  Honestly, it hurt somewhat, although I had to
turn up the vacuum b/c I am only nursing in the mornings and I tried it in the late
afternoon.  I have not worked with any moms who have used the Symphony as it is
only slowly becoming available in local hospitals, seemingly.  I have heard, though,
through the grapevine that some like it and some don't.

I have also tried the Whittlestone and have sold/rented it to about 10 moms.  I
thought that the cups were very comfortable and I giggled while I was "expressing"
becuase it tickled quite a bit at first.  I am no longer pumping for my son (2 years old)
but am fairly certain I will use one when I have my next.  I have gotten positive
feedback from all the moms that have gotten the Expresser through me.  I have had
one mom (who purchased it rom a kids store) that was unhappy with it and rented a
Classic to pump for her twins.  One thing about the Whittlestone, because it is a more
natural stimulation it is hard to "pump in a hurry" or when very stressed.  However,
we all know that some moms can pump with a million things going on and others
that really need to take some quiet time to be able to let down with a pump.  I see the
same with the Whittlestone.  Most of the moms tell me they love their Whittlestone
and get lots of milk.   They are first time pumpers and have used only the
Whittlestone.  Moms who were on a Medela or other type of pump take some
transition time to the Whittlestone.

An andectotal story:  I was called to work with a Mom of a 27-week preemie who had
gotten the Expresser from a Consultant who wasn't familiar with it.  It was the only
option the LC could think of for this mom, because she had come to her  after using
the Classic for one week -she was raw and in so much pain she was ready to quit
pumping but knew it was so vital for her tiny baby and wanted another option.  After
a few days of successful expressing, she was not yielding as much volume and
thought it might be a problem with the unit, and I was called to help out.  Basically,
we discussed the importance of relaxing (or as best she could given the
circumstances), putting her feet up, head back, closing her eyes, and, if she needed
have a good cry to release some of the stored up stress and anxiety she was feeling.
From then on, she has been expressing more than adequate volume successfully
and has said that if it weren't for the Whittlestone she would not be able to provide
her baby with her breasmilk.  I heard the baby is now strong enough that she is
coming to breast!

Like any pump,  neither of these is going to work for every woman.  Some will like
one more or less than another, or not at all.  Like shoes, one size/style etc. doesn't fit
all.  It is nice that there are now more options available to offer moms.  A year ago,
this mom above would have quit pumping and her baby would not have benefited
from her breastmilk or had the shared joy of a breastfeeding relationship.

Disclosure: I do rent Medela Classics and Lactinas (can't yet afford the Symphony-
waiting for it to be rentable), as well as the Whittlestone; and sell the Pump-In-Styles
and Whittlestone.

Laine Podell-Camino, MA, CLE
A Mother's Haven, Encino, CA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2