Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Gonneke van Veldhuizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 03:14:04 EDT
In einer eMail vom 25-09-02 19:07:22 West-Europa (zomertijd) schreibt

> unfortunately america is incredibly puritanical and the issue of married vs
> not married is a big deal!

My (then still to be-) husband and I liverd together unmarried for several
years. His collegues kept asking when we would be marrying and he lept saying
"when I have to". So when I got pregnant we wanted to marry (so he couls tell
his collegues "now I have to"), not because being an unmarried mother is a
shame or because living together as man and wife without marriage is a shame,
but just because for the children and the paperwork it would be easier to
have a mom and dad that are married and share the same family name.
In The Netherlands, too, like in Scandinavia, lots of couples have children,
live together, but are not married. And like Rachel I am married, but without
wearing the metal on my hand to show.

All very off-topic ofcourse, but still very usefull to realise that cultaral
differences can be ,and actually are, big, even between countries that at
first hand seem to be about the same. As breastfeedig counselors, both lay
and professional, we can come in  situations that are so different from what
we expect. Realising that that is possible will help us to help each mom and
baby at the place or phase they are, without judging their views and ways to
do things.

Warmly greeting,

Gonneke
Gonneke van Veldhuizen
IBCLC   ---|||---   LLLL   ---|||---   MOM
primairy schoolteacher

EUROLAC
Lactation Consultant Practice
Centre for breastfeeding Information and Education
http://www.geocities.com/gonneke29/