From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:08:44 +0200
This is a link to a report on the safety of silicone breast implants. It's
long, but the section on lactation is worth reading if you've got the time.
It covers just about all the main studies relating to bf after implants and
silicone (or lack of it, depending on your view point) in breastmilk.
 http://www.nap.edu/books/0309065321/html/

Silicon is everywhere in the enviroment and silicone is a polymer of
silicon. Many medications and food additives contain silicon, for example a
certain make of colic medication for babies - medication for relieving
colic, not for giving it to babies seen as we are all keeping tabs on our
language these last few days ;-). I think that we should accept a certain
amount of silicon on our blood and milk as silica is one of the most (if not
most) common elements on earth. I read somewhere (probably in the above
report!) that the Japanese have higher amounts in blood due to their type of
diet.

Cows milk also contains silicon (ten times more than breastmilk according to
Semple's study). I'm wondering whether the huge amount of silicon in
artificial baby milk comes due to the processing of cow's milk which means
that silicon becomes more and more concentrated down the manufacturing line?
I have no idea whether this amount of silicon in formula milk poses a long
term health risk - and gee, no ones going to bother doing that study are
they, afterall we only have to prove that breastmilk is safe!

By the way I have two empty packets of formula here in house - don't jump up
and down! I got hold of them so I could calculate how much money one has to
spend not to breastfeed. They will go into the re-cyling once I've finished!
Back on track- none of them list silicon as one of their ingredients or dare
I say contaminants?

Sara Bernard
The Netherlands
(just thought, when is the Institure of Medicine going to do a study on the
safety of formula?)