Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 19:10:59 EDT
Dear Lactnet,
    Diane and Esther reflect the approach I take to upping milk supply when
early problems have led to a diminished supply.  I am so glad to see this
explained here.  It is not "selling out" the BFing, as many LCs and lay
people believe.  If practiced when milk supply is really threatened, it gives
the mom the chance to get a milk supply going that will entice baby to
breast.  And the term "recreational" is a good way to still have baby at
breast and take the pressure off of mom as she works on supply.
    To expect a mom to feed 30-45 minutes at breast, pump for 15 more and
then top off the baby each feeding for more than a few days is just too
overwhelming for many new moms.
    The only drawback is the inevitable "couldn't I just keep pumping and put
it in the bottle?... I like seeing what he gets"........I buffer with, "this
is short-term as we get your milk supply going.  When we remove the "safety
net" of the bottle I will help you feel comfortable about knowing the baby is
getting "enough."

If you missed Diane and Esther's posts, they were Tues 9/24/02

Jan Ellen Brown IBCLC
Charlotte, NC 28211