From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:02:22 -0400
>It is a sad day when individuals feel compelled to start censoring their
>comments to Lactnet for fear of being sued.  Or out of fear that a
>Lactnet subscriber may take it upon themselves, without permission from
>the author, to forward posts to corporation.
 Is there evidence that the posts in question were passed on to
corporations who do not have access to lactnet? We should be
careful before we accuse people of "selling out."
I remember reading several years ago on lactnet that we must assume
that there are members of the corporate community who are subscribers
to lactnet. Lactnet is big, something over 2000 subscribers worldwide,
and it is impossible and unethical to run background checks on everyone
who subscribes.
When I first subscribed to lacnet, the welcome note mentioned that we
should not post anything on lactnet that we wouldn't want to appear
on the front page of the New York Times. That is sage advice about
anything that goes out on the email/internet. Once you push the send
button, messages can take on a life of their own.

Unfortunately, all this together means we have to be careful what
we say even on lactnet. I wish I had a good solution to this problem,
but I think it is one of the prices we pay for the wonderful benefits
we get from such a wide community of experts and supporters.

Naomi Bar-Yam