From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:20:39 +1000
At 02:48 PM 14/08/02 -0400, Angie wrote:
>10 days ago mom noted a tender, reddened area on the right breast, about 4
>cms in diameter.    Mom had no fever, chills, flu-like symptoms.  Tried warm
>compresses, massage with no relief.

Hi Angie
Two additional things to consider are abscess and white spot (bleb/milk
under the skin).
Abscesses can develop just as you have described - maybe a short time,
which could be unnoticed, of fever before the infection encapsulates and
the mother then appears quite well.  An ultrasound would be the
confirmation or otherwise of this.

That you have mentioned that latch-on is excruciating though makes me tend
to favour white spot.  I suggest if you can't easily see a pin-head size
white spot on the end of the nipple that you get out a magnifying glass and
have a really good look.  If it does turn out to be white spot piercing the
thin skin covering that has caused this and then expressing the plug which
has caused the milk to back-up is the treatment which works the best.  Warm
water and massage is comforting and you may consider putting 'something'
onto the nipple to soften up the skin, but the piercing the skin and then
expressing is the definitive treatment - and it can return, frequently.

>  After no improvement with abx, mom had ultrasound.  No abscess seen,

Oh sorry - just  noticed this!

Good luck - keep us informed
Denise

Denise Fisher MMP, BN, IBCLC
BreastEd Online Lactation Studies Courses
http://www.health-e-learning.com