From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 20:42:23 +0000
I made some follow up calls today at the 6 months mark. I was able to
contact 19 moms who delivered in January. Here are the continuation data
(that is, age of weaning):
5 days - 2 moms
2 wks - 1 mom
1 month - 1 mom
2 months - 3 moms
2.5 months - 1 mom
3 months - 2 moms
3.5 months - 1 mom
6 months and still nursing - 2 moms!
Changed to formula before hospital discharge - 6 moms!

Now for some background, lest you think I am the worst LC around :(

The 6 who changed to formula before discharge had all indicated they were
not sure they really wanted to breastfeed. Often they state they would like
to "try it." (I keep their bf goals logged in on their assessment/followup
sheets). Some of these had never ever initiated bf, but received info,
education, support. Some bf one or more times but decided it was "not for
them." It kills me when moms ask me about how to wean if this is "not for
them" before they even get started nursing!

As for the other moms, several had weaned earlier than their stated goals,
but many had achieved their goals, stating their desire was to bf for 2 or 3
months, for example. I do not have hard data on exclusive vs mixed bf, but I
would be pretty accurate in saying that a very high percentage do mixed
feeding from day one.

Had a mom today to see me for a prenatal consult, as she had been told she
had flat and inverted nipples (a bit short that's all). She shared how she
never got to bf her first child due to being told not to bf due to maternal
fever and then the baby never did latch. She never sought help from an LC.
She says that child has allergies, asthma, ear tubes, etc. Even after all
this, she is asking me "well if it doesn't work out how do I wean?" And "do
you ever just tell a mother she shouldn't bf or she should stop?" (ANSWER -
NO!). Anyway, I get this fairly often, and it is a strong predictor IMO that
this mom will not last bf more than a few days. Previous Bf failure is a
huge risk factor, IMO. That is why the whole culture needs to be bf
friendly, supportive, etc. in maternity care, newborn, peds, etc.

Oh well, I will go cut the grass now.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA