From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:17:22 -0700
Urgent question here - we have a mom at our hospital who was involved in a motor vehicle accident on the indian reservation. her baby was taken by c-section at 31 + 5 weeks. Mother has been on morphine for 1 ½ weeks, just had total hip replacement today. She has also been on Prozac throughout her pregnancy. The NICU staff was initally feeding the baby her pumped milk, until baby began to become progressively lethargic. Staff has had mom pumping and dumping her milk for 5 days now, with no end in sight.

How compatible is Prozac in the breastmilk for the preemie? I don't feel comfortable with giving this baby mother's milk unless her psychiatrist will switch her to Zoloft or Paxil, which will not be easy since the provider is 100 miles away on the Indian reservation.

This mom is ready to give up, even though she is pumping lots of milk and having gone through so much, I would feel terrible if she couldn't give her baby the milk at some point.

Thanks,
Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC