Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:01:14 -0500
I have searched the archives, and need wise counsel. I found a Case Study in JHL Vol 18 about Heart transplantation, but need additional references.
I have a client, 35 weeks pregnant whose fetus has been diagnosed with
pulmonary valve atresia, tricuspid valve barely functional. At 35 weeks,
fetus is in 10th percentile growth curve for gestational age and
amniotic fluid is within normal limits, per ultrasound. Baby is
scheduled for evaluation and surgery immediately following birth. Care
plan at this time includes two additional surgeries over the next two
years to repair the heart.
However, mother has been told by the cardiac surgeon that she cannot
breastfeed due to infant fatigue, bottle easier to suckle, etc.
Mother is highly motivated to nurse, and we have spent time discussing
numerous options.
What I need most is assistance from MDs experienced with pediatric
cardiac patients, who can help me guide this mother to the appropriate
research she can share with her infant's cardiologist.
Thank you,
Linda Worzer, BME, IBCLC