Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 21:40:26 EDT
I too was offended by the sponsorship and exhibits of Avent and Playtex at
the ILCA conference. I wrote this up on the conference evaluation  and also
spoke to a Board member about it.
I was particularly upset to be told by a young woman at the Avent booth that
their soft tip sippy cup was for "starting babies on juice and water at THREE
months"!!!
This immediately preceded Audrey Naylor's talk on exclusive breastfeeding
until six months then introducing complementary foods!
On Saturday (after mulling this over in my head and discussion with others) I
spoke to the man in charge of that booth (who had been allowed to give his
"commercial message" at Thursday's lunch); he tried to tell me that I had
misunderstood her and that she would not have said that! When I reiterated
that that IS what she said, he stated that he would "speak to her about it"
(yeah, right...)
I would rather have a no frills conference or (shudder) pay more for
conference registration than have these types of sponsors/exhibitors.
Please, everyone that is a member of ILCA, let your feelings on this be heard
by the Board asap.
Flossie Rollhauser, IBCLC