From:
"Coleman, Joyce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 12:06:11 -0400
Prior to the ILCA conference, I probably sent Kathleen 5 messages trying to
figure out the process to set lactnet nomail.  I had just spent three days
relocating my office, and my computer had not been reconnected by
information systems. I tried to log onto 2 other computers on my job for
about an hour without success--one computer required a password for Windows
2000 and another extremely slow computer turned out not to have the
internet at all.  In a last-ditch attempt to set lactnet nomail, I tried
from home.

The instructions at the beginning of the digest read:
"To Manage your Subscription, ie go nomail, index, etc, go to:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html"

When I clicked on this link, it gave me the following options:
post to the list
manage the list (list owners only)

There were no instructions there for how to go nomail.

The only link that was available was [log in to unmask],
so I clicked on that link, adding to the onslaught of emails that Kathleen
gets requesting help.  The email address to set nomail is
[log in to unmask], but that link was not available on this
page.  I couldn't find it anywhere.

I had also tried in times past and been unsuccessful.  I eventually gave up
out of frustration.  I have often thought it would be nice to have this
link readily accessible.

Perhaps I'm a little sensitive, but my feelings were hurt by this post:

" . . . they also don't read much of anything besides what they want to in
terms of clinical stuff, and they blithely send commands and requests for
help to whatever address they can think of at the time.

Sorry to clog up your inbox.  If people were more careful, we would be able
to consider alternatives, and perhaps pare it down.  It's just not enough
these days to send someone a message that begins with "KEEP A COPY OF THIS.
YOU'LL NEED IT IN THE FUTURE, etc."

I can understand the frustration of the listmoms, but please don't think
that we are all trying to be insensitive.  Some topics are a little
difficult for me to learn--and I guess this is just one of them.

Sincerely,

Joyce Coleman, RN, IBCLC