Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:35:54 -0300
> A subscriber, Vicky York, is having trouble with her computer talking to the
> listserv, so we are posting this on her behalf.
> Does anyone have concrete suggestions for how to breastfeed twins
> simultaneously while lying down?
>
> Please cc responses to Vicky as well as to the list, [log in to unmask]
>  Thanks.

I know "not really" is a woefully inadequate response. I know others
will talk about how to place pillows so that the can reach both breasts
when the mother is lying on her side, but because of my small breasts I
couldn't do that easily.

But here is what did work. I had a bed rest to ensure good back support
and to raise side pillows up to a comfortable height. I put extra
pillows at my back, under my arms and across my lap (to act as a
bolster). Then I latched them on (both in cradle hold, with their knees
entwined, but parallel works, too) and then slumped backwards. When they
were little, I raised my knees and supported them with pillows, which
tilted my babies towards me. That way, when we fell asleep, they sort of
fell against my breasts and could attach and "untach" as my
three-year-old called it at the time, without having to be shifted too
much.

Rachel, you've taken pictures of me nursing a singleton -- I wish I had
met you so that you could have documented this position.

This position didn't work well until they could latch on pretty much on
their own. But by that time, I had cultivated the art of sleeping. (I
actually thought that was what the "anywhere, anytime" campaign was all
about... well, it *was* related!)

Mothers of twins who are having  issues with depression have particular
trouble getting to sleep, and sometimes it helps to reassure them that
they can at least count on their little ones needing less help latching
as they get a bit bigger.

The other reminder is that if the babies are safely sleeping or playing
on the floor, sitting  with your feet up is a good thing even if you
can't get to sleep. My mother (who didn't have twins, but did have
trouble sleeping) used to say that a rest was "almost as good."

And, finally, if you can afford any help at all, get someone to take the
babies for a walk or watch them while you sleep. Forget the dishes;
sleep is the best investment you can make.

Jo-Anne Elder-Gomes, IBCLC and mother of two sets of twins.