From:
Kim Patrick Clow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:15:19 +0000
Margaret Mikulska <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Another complete Mozart edition is being issued on Brilliant Classics
>at a ridiculously low price.

Just immediately after I wrote the list about this, I became aware of
the Brilliant Classic's project and was able to purchase two of the
volumes. I got the volumues with the Masses and Early Symphonies. I
just happened to purchase the Masses volume from the Phillips project
earlier in the week: so I was able to do a side by side comparison.

The sonics in the Brilliant Classics recordings are better I believe. I
also like the fact the soloists in the Masses are miked more closer and
you hear them a lot better.  The tempi are just a little bit slower but
not enough to annoy you.  The notes are adequate. Each CD has it's own
jewel box case versus the multiple cd jewel box you get in the Phillips
project. The price was rock bottom. Brand new I paid $10.00 for the Early
Symphonies Volumue (5 cds) at a close out store.

Amazing how quickly Brilliant Classics issued this series. I think it's
already finished or about to be completed.

Personally I'm torn. Even though it's supposed to be a mid-priced budget
release: they're pricey to buy. But Phillips collection has the advantage
of some of the finest talent recording them. I certainly know I will
purchase the Piano Concerti volume and the Symphonies because of the
artists involved. I believe the Phillips also recorded a lot mor e of
the fragmentary pieces (such as the Symphonie Concertante for Violin,
Viola, and Cello for example).

Since at this point, I believe there are only 4 volumes that are out
of print, so with a little digging I can probably find them on Ebay or
used CD stores. Just as long as the rest of the volumes don't fall out
of print too quickly: my wallet could handle it.

It's interesting that when I mentioned to the sales clerk that the
Phillips project was going out of print: she said she was not a big fan
of it. I do think some of the volumes have bad sonics, and wonder why
they just simply didn't record them.

If anyone else on the list has thoughts on the Brilliant Classics set, or
particular volumes, let me know! Thank you.

Eric Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Who are the performers on the Brilliant Classic edition??

Complete artist listing for each volume is on the following link:

   http://www.joanrecords.com/classical/mozart/mozart-index.html

Kim Patrick Clow