From:
Helen Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:59:29 -0400
In reply to Karleen Gribble's enquiry, I am not sure about where to find the booklet she asks about, wanting its information on relactation. But I would like to mention that WHO has an excellent publication titled Relactation, document number WHO/CHS/CAH/98.14 and that could be ordered through whatever centre in Australia sells UN documents, or direct from [log in to unmask]

For those whose interest in the topic relates to true emergencies, I would recommend the WEMOS/GIFA/IBFAN 12-page booklet titled Infant Feeding in Emergencies, subtitle "Do you know that your generous donations of breastmilk substitutes could do more harm than good?"  That gives you an idea of the intended audience.  Available from [log in to unmask]   or from  [log in to unmask]

WHO and UNICEF, along with UNHCR and World Food Programme, have developed two modules for training humanitarian aid workers in how to support breastfeeding in crises (and including a section on relactation, of course.) Titled Infant Feeding in Emergencies, these two modules are not yet distributed except for field testing in emergency situations.  If any LactNet users are working in appropriate situations (including the pre-service training of humanitarian aid volunteers or staff) they may want to enquire about filed testing the materials, from Fiona O'Reilly, Emergency Nutrition Network, [log in to unmask]