Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 14:28:04 EDT
Jaye says,

> So my question was is the booklet that ROSS "developed" actually the Huggins
> booklet (canibilized and tainted with an ABM makers logo) - if so - then
> Ross didn't develop it...

Ross had nothing to do w/ NMC.  Mead Johnson bought the rights to the first
two chapters of the book from the PUBLISHER -- (once a publisher has your
book they are free to do whatever they would like w/ it unless you have it
specified in your contract that they can't sell it to industry -- but this
was over 10 years ago, and a lot of us have gotten smarter, thanks to this
episode) -- and that is what they have been giving out in their gift packs.
To my knowledge they didn't change any of the text, but did publish it a
format that unless you are a die-hard reader who will read the back of the
toothpaste tube if nothing else is available, you aren't likely to read this
(we all know about white space & pictures, right?  Well there isn't any white
space, the font must be about a 9, and no (or few) pictures).

The "breastfeeding" pamphlet Ross has been distributing was written by 3
IBCLCs for them.  This apparently is what they are dropping in favor of the
AAP book on which they will put their logo and distribute.  If Ross chose to,
and if the authors hadn't been careful about the contract they signed w/
their publishers, Ross could buy up 1000 or so copies of Lawrence's text, or
Counseling the Nursing Mother, or what have you, stick their logo on it, and
give them out to pediatricians around the world.  Great for the publishing
company -- makes Ross, or Mead Johnson, or Wyeth, or Nestle look like great
people because they are supporting breastfeeding, no?

No they aren't.

And what has become extremely painfully clear to me on another listserv I'm
on, the pediatricians -- by and large (with the exception of a wonderful few)
just really, truly, don't get it.  The discussion degenerated into looking
for prospective randomized double blind studies to prove that breastmilk was
better than formula.  Yeah, right.  Deep down most of them do not believe
that breastmilk is really truly better for babies than formula.  Or if it is
-- it isn't significantly better *enough* to make a difference.  And then of
course, from there we went to the horrid behavior of most lactation
consultants who have no pity on the poor mother who is just doing her best
but can't get the baby to take her milk.....and it went on.

Please pass the cyberbucket -- it was enough to make one cybercry and
cyberbarf.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL -- ready to open that bookstore any
moment now....
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com