From:
Lynn Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:34:01 -0500
"Baby Matters: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Caring For Your
Baby" by Dr. Linda Folden Palmer.  Lucky Press: 2001

I thought this was going to be just another book about attachment-style
parenting.  It is that, but fully 2/3 of the book is about food
allergies, and tied tightly to breastfeeding!  It is *wonderful*  The
most relevant chapters to food allergic kids are on Immune Protection,
Digestion, Nutritional Beginnings, Baby Feeding, the Dangers of Cow's
Milk; Colic to Ear Infection, Behavior to Bedwetting; Allergy Matters;
and Discovering, Preventing & Treating Food Allergies.

There are tons and tons of footnotes.  This is not a light, easy read.
If you've read Henci Goer's The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better
Birth, it's about at that level.  It's not inaccessible to an interested
person by any means, and it is documented well enough to satisfy a
physician.

This book is definitely what I was looking for--there is a pile of info,
very specific details on the properties of breastmilk, and she does say
more than once that the idea of weaning a food allergic child to formula
is bogus, except in the case of extreme damage where the baby's guts
just need a break until mom can completely clean up her diet.

Thanks to those of you who responded to my initial post looking for help.

Lynn Carter, bf advocate and just beginning the LLLL application process
in Kirksville, MO