From:
LuAnn Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:15:59 -0400
For those hosptial based LC's,

Does anyone have national BF rates yet for 2001? An interesting thing
happened at our hospital. I do our stats about 3 x per year. In 2000 our
initiation rate was about 74% average. In 2001 it remained fairly consistent
down about 70-72% and then really fell off the end of the year to a low of
about 64%, the lowest its been since the mid 90's. (This was after 9/11)
Naturally I was concerned and was trying to figure out if this was just our
local area or if others were seeing the same? Anyone else notice this? At
any rate, now having done stats again for the first part of this year, we
are back up to 74% .

Wondering if 9/11 even kept moms from nursing ther babies.......just at the
time they might have taken great comfort in doing so.....

Our duration rates still remain low, even though our initiation rates are
approaching Healthy People goals. We live in the geographic northeast.
Highly industrailized, lots of blue collar workers and poor workplace
support. That and a lack of a consistent home visit program, I think are the
two things that keep our duration rates lower than they should be. Anyone
care to share average duration rates in your geographic area and any
interesting programs in place to help keep moms nusring longer?

LuAnn Smith RN, BSN, IBCLC
York, PA