Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mary Coutts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 15:08:57 -0500
Thank you, Barbara for reminding us all.......May I use the analogy of
meeting for lunch with friends and discussing child- raising as one
example of what I feel we do here on lactnet when we "vent":

We have lunch with friends of children of like ages and each of us takes
a turn expressing her/his frustration in the many trials and
tribulations of getting their child through a particular stage, feeling
better when we return home that others may be feeling or have felt the
same way and perhaps gaining some much needed strength and encouragement
to hang on and continue.  We may have also come away with new ways and
ideas of overcoming an obstacle from one or more of these friends at the
luncheon that we had not considered in the past.  And then when the
children move beyond "that stage" (which we do/they do),  we eventually
see the final product of adulthood, and are "paid back" ten-fold. (Most
of the time.)  Perhaps working in this field is sorta the same.  But
like you say, we may not get to see the results - but find comfort in
knowing with hard work and perseverance, it will usually happen in time.

I know my friends sense my need to "vent" about raising my children at
times, they know (I think) I'm not about to throw in the towel and quit.
And I, them.  Nor do we think any less of each other when we each
express ourselves. And then of course there's usually one parent present
who comes forward to point out what we DO have going for us.....just as
you have Barbara,  here on Lactnet.

And of course there's LaLeche League, as another example.  When I listen
to mothers' "complaints" (I really don't like that word) (how about
'concerns') I know that while at the time they may be feeling
discouraged and could quit breastfeeding under certain
circumstances....they don't.  They just needed an ear and all the moms
sitting around gave them to her....and she went home rejuvenated.  How I
remember those days when I too benefited from LLL while breastfeeding my
children.

I guess I should say, thank you Lactnetters.  For listening.  Nodding.
(no, I can't see you I just know you're doing it) Agreeing.  Advising.
Sharing (I'm usually a lurker). Teaching.  Being there.   (I'm sure many
others could add to this...) Thank You. WarmLLLy, Mary Coutts, LLLL,
IBCLC