From:
Craig Smallwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 12:26:04 -0400
"There is a theme that runs throughout Christianity that if you aren't
sacrificing and hurting then you aren't truly "saved." "

Ok as the wife of a pastor I am chiming in here.  I personally think it
is these twisted people with their own agendas twisting what the Bible
(or Korahn or what ever spiritual book they choose to twist) has to
say.  I think parents need to be told to compare what is in their
scheduling books to what is in their book of faith.  I am sure they will
find it does NOT match up with their religion.  Suffering for the sake
of salvation is silly (at least in Christianity) when the Bible clearly
says that salvation is a gift freely given to all who ask for it.  And
mothers in my church do NOT have rigid schedules.  I think the parents
in our church would actually laugh at these books saying that they do
not support what childhood is all about.  Then again, my husband's
congregation has a MAJOR breast feeding advocate for a pastors wife so
it is sort of bombarded into their heads.  And everyone there I think
has seen my breasts shoved into a pump at one time or another being that
I relactated for my dd.  Men women children and all LOL.  Even the
teenagers who, when we got there, said babys on the breast are gross,
all say they will nurse their children when they have them now.  And the
poor woman that played Mary in our Christmas play nursed in front of the
entire cast (well Jesus was nursed so why not her son LOL).

I guess what I am trying to say is that although I can understand why
someone may be confused and persuaded to believe this nonesense of
starving your kid for the sake of a schedule is spiritual, I think we as
L/C's and breast feeding advocates everywhere need to be well versed in
all the spiritual books and be able to point out what exactly is
contradictory about these methods to sprirituality.  That it will not
guarantee their children's eternity and that it will be their children's
decisions later on in life that determine that.

My two cents for what it is worth.
Susan L/C in training, breastfeeding guru at church LOL