Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:13:49 -0700
Dear Kind Lactnetters,

The following quote is taken from  "Interview With a Humanoid".  It is an
op-ed article by Nicholas D. Kristof in today's New York Times
(www.nytimes.com) regarding the splicing of human genetic material with that
of cows and other common farm animals.

..."Other cows could specialize in producing infant formula or even, by
splicing in human DNA, someday be made to produce torrents of genuine human
breast milk from their udders."...

This is frightening.  Just think, if they could get cows to gestate human
fetuses, too, then we wouldn't have to worry about episiotomies and c/s,
either!

Assinine.  In my ever-so humble opinion, the philosophy of "let's just try
it because I *think* it could work!" is not "science"........it sounds more
like the psychology used by my 8 year old and his friends.  Which, in my
mind, makes it "simple" and "juvenile".

If the Feds have that much money to toss around (!?!?!), why are they giving
it to cow's and childish-mentalities-with-PhD's?  I know some really
wonderful, hard-working, brilliant healthcare practitioners that would like
to empower more *human* mothers with knowledge, skills, support, and some
technological breakthroughs so these mothers may 'produce torrents of
genuine human breastfmilk' from their own breasts!

Imagine that.

Lynda
- climbing down from the Lactnet Soapbox

Lynda Cook Sawyer, RN, BSN, MBA, IBCLC
Las Vegas, NV - USA