From:
Pascoes in Dubai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 09:02:29 +0400
I got home last night after a long session with parents asking, amongst
other things, which formula they should buy. I was about to go on with
the usual line about there being no real way to tell, that even tins in
the same batch are different so choose  a nice label etc etc when I
stopped and thought to myself that with these new LCPUFA's formulas they
are actually NOT all the same. So I mentioned that there may be cause
for some caution about these new milks, being in the very much
experimental phase  with a report being collated on adverse effects
after 2 years, etc etc , prefacing all the time with of course these are
being sold on the shelf and many people will tell you they are safe and
better but here is some background information for you to decide.

On the way home I felt in a real quandary about whether that was the
right course of action, so when I read Dr Jay's post I felt that I had
done my best for informed decision making that night. Although of course
this stuff is just another experiment within and even bigger experiment.
I also suggested the parents get a little notebook and jot down the lot
number, expiry date and where they bought each tin, in case there was
ever a recall and law suit. There was a long pause then the parents
asked for the lactation consultant's contact details.

Do you think that as a lay support team we are going outside our scope
detailing this information about the new formulas? it has been so easy
in the past to give the standard answer of there being no way to choose,
but I think we may need to update our answer.

Meg Kingsley

Lay Breastfeeding Supporter, Dubai UAE

E-Mail :  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]